Plaza de la Virgen, s/n; 46001 – Valencia
The Virgen de los Desemparados Basilica is dedicated to the patron saint of the city and is the most important religious building in Valencia from the 17th century. It was also the first new Baroque construction of its time. Built between 1652 and 1667 by Diego Martínez Ponce de Urrana, it is the only church in the old part of the city that was built new from the foundations up, and not on an existing parish church or convent. The dome is not central but located in the part nearer to the Cathedral. The side-chapel is in the baroque style and was one of the first to be built in Spain. The side-chapel is dedicated to the adoration of an image of the Virgin and is accessed by a staircase.
INFO OF INTEREST
Open every day from 7.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. and 4.30 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.
HOW TO GET HERE:
BUS: 94 4 5 9 19 79 80 81